Middleborough Congregational Church
Titicut Parish 38 Plymouth Street, North Middleborough, MA
View of present North Congregational Church of Middleborough (No.4), looking
east from Titicut Parish Green.
May 25, 1743 Petition to General Court
to become a distinct parish.
Feb. 25, 1744 The Titicut area became
a distinct parish. This included part of Bridgewater to the 4 mile line.
1746 Praying Indian John Thomas gave 5
acres of land for a meeting house, burying place and training green. Two other
Praying Indians gave 33 3/4 more acres to encourage the settlement of a Gospel
Ministry. Land later used for the parsonage, Pratt Free School, etc. This
seems to be a verbal gift.
April 3, 1747 Acquired the frame from
another building and moved to the site of new church. This church was a barn-like
structure with no spire, tower or bell and no heat.
26, 1748 The church is first organized as a public meeting house.
Mar 31, 1748 Offices chosen from Bridgewater
and Middleborough members. They voted to enclose and cover the frame of the
Apr 13, 1748 Members voted to hire Rev.
Isaac Backus as their first pastor. He was ordained and as a "new light preacher"
continued his evangelistic tours beyond his parish.
January 1749 First annual meeting officially
Aug 15, 1750 Signed deed to church by John
Thomas and other two Indians.
June 27, 1754 Signed deeds taken to Plymouth
1755 Finished outside of church building.
Jan 16, 1756 Rev. Backus and 6 members
left the Congregational Church to form a Baptist Church nearby. Some members
had become upset over the technique of baptism and the subject of immersion.
Oct 21, 1756 Pew spots were sold to obtain
money to finish the church and to obtain a new pastor.
26, 1757 Rev. Solomon Reed starts his work as new pastor.
May 17, 1757 Deed to church land is finally
recorded in Plymouth.
1808 New church building erected with
a belfry and a bell, on location close to present site of church.
1817 First parsonage built. Stove not
added until 1828.
1818 First Sunday School started.
1823 Bridgewater part of Titicut Parish
was reunited with the town of Bridgewater.
1849 Ladies Benevolent Society was formed.
Worked during 3 wars - Civil War, World War I and World War II.
Feb 28, 1852 Second church is destroyed
June 2, 1852 Third church building is
1876 Watering trough and pump erected on
Titicut Parish Green. This pump provided water for several homes and Pratt
March 15, 1893 Lightning storm - struck
church and burned down third building.
April 19, 1894 Fourth church dedicated - this a more modern
building. This new church is existing today.
May 10, 1900 North Middleborough Congregational
Church is incorporated.
April 29 to May 4, 1948 Two hundredth
anniversary of North Congregational Church.
March 5, 1962 Members voted to become
a member of the United States Church of Christ. Today is known as: North Congregational
Church - United Church of Christ - Middleborough, MA
June 14, 1987 Congregation adopts Constitution
By-Laws of The North Congregational Church and Parish.
April 17, 1994 One hundredth anniversary
of present church (1894-1994).
November 1, 1998 250th anniversary celebration of the North
From the Ladies Benevolent Society new church groups were formed during the
early part of the 1900's, to make money for special church needs and expanding
missionary projects. The New Era Club made quilts to sell for over 70 years.
The Ladies Church Aid Society ran church suppers periodically to raise money.
Other fund raisers included raffles, rummage and yard sales, and Titicut Parish
Emery, S. Hopkins: 1876 The Congregational Church of North Middleborough,
MA by Harlow & Thatcher, Steam Book and Job Printers.
Townsend, Charles D.: History of The Church of North Middleborough, MA. Reprinted
by request of the Church and Congregation. Aceto Bookmen, Sarasota, Florida.